We’re doing our bit to reduce our carbon footprint and become more environmentally friendly!
The Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon is committed to a new environment promise to help reduce our carbon footprint and become more sustainable.
Working with our sponsors and partners, we will continue to review our sustainability practices. Here are just some of actions we have taken to become more sustainable:
- Title Sponsor Deep RiverRock are helping reduce plastic waste by providing 100% recycled bottles at the Belfast City Marathon and Half Marathon events
- All Deep RiverRock used bottles are collected after each event when safe to do so and recycled
- Compostable cups were introduced at PowerAde energy drinks stations in 2019 reducing plastic waste
- 2018 saw the introduction of 330ml bottles at water stations, encouraging less waste as runners hold on to bottles longer and less plastic will be used for the size of bottle
- Public transport / car parking
- Official Transport partner Translink are working with the Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon to provide further shuttle bus solutions to participants to get to and from race starts and for the Team Relay event, encouraging those to leave their car at home
- The event works with Belfast City Council and Stormont Estate to provide a number of car park options to encourage car sharing
- Goodie Bags
- Oxo degradable and recyclable bags are being introduced in 2020 for participants to collect at the Pack Collection / Expo over race weekend, these will include sponsor goodies. Participants will be encouraged to use these same bags when using the Bag Drop facility for each race
- Race instructions and registration materials will all be digital for 2020, moving away from printing
- The event is no longer posting out race packs. Instead there will be an Pack Collection/Race Expo over race weekend, where participants will collect their race number
- Not all race numbers will be printed for the Pack Collection/Race Expo, in line with the expected drop off percentage from participant entries
- The event is no longer accepting leaflets/print material for participant goodie bags.
- Packaging and Signage
- Medals no longer come packaged in individual plastic bags, organisers will be accepting delivery in bulk
- Corex and reusable signage are used throughout the events
- Post event waste / recycling
- All unclaimed clothes left over at start and finish areas will be donated to Official Charity Partner Cancer Focus NI. Clothing bins will be located at the start and finish areas.
- Any unused Deep RiverRock bottles will be gathered and donated to a local homeless charity
- Additional Sponsor Sustainability activities
- Four Star Pizza Official Food Sponsors pizza box packaging is biodegradable
- Framar Health Official Nutrition Sponsor provide reusable shoppers for Belfast City Marathon promotional activity
- Decathlon Belfast, Official Apparel Sponsor provides merchandise options for runners which are produced using Ecodesign. Further details on Decathlon's sustainability message can be found here.